. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Reproductive Rights

I'm not secretive about my feminism--in fact, I LOVE to talk about feminism, about the role of women in our world, about societal expectations of women, about slut-shaming, and most importantly, about the power of women.


I firmly believe that empowering women is an essential element of progress. Its easy for us as western women to feel disconnected from the struggles women face elsewhere--I'm not subject to genital mutilation. I can freely pursue my education. I have an avenue, however flawed it may be, to punish those who violate my body. Despite these options, there is still a lot that I don't have. Our bodies are stil legislated over, with decisions being made for us by governmental bodies which fail to represent us. Women's bodies are objectified, chopped, represented crudely, and are generally treated as the property of society as a whole; as topics available for conversation and judgment and scorn.


The rights I have over my body, my reproductive rights, matter to me. I think they matter for us all. I encourage you to keep standing up for them in whatever way you feel is right. If you're interested in taking an affirmative action, head on over here: http://www.drawtheline.org and sign your name. Its an issue that affects all women and all men who care about the women in their lives.


Image